About Childhood Cancer
A Dozen Facts on Childhood Cancer
Courtesy of People Against Childhood Cancer
- There is no known cause for childhood cancers, and they are considered rare; although worldwide over a quarter million kids are diagnosed annually.
- Here in the U.S., 1 in 300 kids are diagnosed before the age of 20; over 15,000 per year.
- The incidence of childhood cancers has increased 29% over the last 20 years.
- Here in the U.S. ~80% of kids survive 5 years. But ~20% of those survivors die prematurely due to the original cancer, a secondary cancer, or effects from treatment.
- 98% of survivors suffer from a chronic health condition by the age of 45, including pulmonary, hearing, cardiac, and other problems related either to their cancer or the cancer treatment.
- Overall, childhood cancers are the #1 disease killers in U.S. kids, taking more kids every year than cystic fibrosis, asthma, AIDS, and muscular dystrophy COMBINED. Worldwide, nearly 100K die annually.
- Kids don't vote: 96% of federal funding for research is for adult cancers, leaving 4% for childhood cancers; yet kids make up 20% of our population.
- Funding from large cancer organizations don't help that much; <1% of American Cancer Society's total donations are directed to childhood cancer research.
- Pharmaceutical companies fund 60% of all adult cancer research, but they do virtually no childhood cancer research because it is NOT PROFITABLE
- About 900 cancer drugs are in the drug development pipeline, and almost NONE for childhood cancers.
- Curing childhood cancer would be the equivalent of curing breast cancer in terms of person life-years saved.
- Much of private research funding comes from kids, parents and family members who raise funds through lemonade stands, shaving their heads, walking, running, biking, dancing, selling cookies….
for a more in depth list of facts please visit coalition against childhood cancer
Types of Childhood Cancer
There are over a dozen different types of childhood cancers. If you click the links* below, you can find out more information on some of the most common:
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Tumors
- Ewing Sarcoma
- Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Myeloid Leukemias
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Osteogenic Sarcoma (osteosarcoma)
- Wilms Tumor
- Other Rare Childhood Cancer
*Links provided by St. Baldrick's
For more detailed information on these cancers please visit Cure Search